2216 N. Broadway Minot, ND 58703

2216 N. Broadway Minot, ND 58703

Commercial Pilot Certificate


About the Program

Achieve your commercial pilot’s certificate to start your journey to becoming a
professional pilot! We want to guide you through this certificate to help you start your career in aviation. Many of our students have achieved their commercial certificates with us and have become successful pilots with rewarding careers because of the training they received through our program!


A person who applies for an commercial pilot certificate must:

  • Be at least 18 years of age
  • Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language
  • Hold at least a 3rd class medical or better (Must have a 2nd class medical to utilize commercial pilot privileges)
  • Hold a private pilot certificate
  • Ground School
  • 250 hours total time
  • 50 hours cross country time
  • 20 hours training with an instructor
  • 10 hours in a complex aircraft or technically advanced aircraft (TAA)
  • Pass the FAA commercial pilot knowledge test
  • Pass the commercial pilot practical test
  • Fly for compensation or hire
  • Carry persons or property for compensation or hire
  • Broaden your opportunities for future aviation careers
Your Commercial Pilot Certificate Road Map

Embark on your journey to obtaining a Commercial Pilot Certificate with our comprehensive road map, guiding you through every step of the way.

1. Private Pilot Certificate

The first step to your commercial certificate is earning your private certificate. All the flight hours from your private pilot training contribute to the total hour requirement needed for the commercial.

2. Medical

A 3rd class medical is needed to take your checkride. However, to fly for hire, a 2nd class is required.

3. Instrument

Although an instrument rating is not a prerequisite to earn a commercial certificate, many pilot jobs require it. Plus, having your Instrument rating heightens skill level and safety. The hours flown for the instrument also fulfill some of the commercial requirements.

4. Total of 250 hours

The breakdown of the hours include:
• 100 hours PIC
• 50 hours cross country PIC
• 10 hours solo
• 5 hours of night VFR (with 10 landings)
• Cross country over 300 NM
• 20 hours dual

5. Dual

You will need a minimum of 20 hours of dual instruction.
• 10 hours of instrument training (if you don’t already have an instrument rating)
• 10 in a complex or Technically Advanced Aircraft (TAA).
• The rest can be filled with commercial maneuvers and cross country flights.

6. Master Maneuvers

Fly with your instructor and on your own to nail the new maneuvers!

7. Ground Training

Throughout your training, study with an online course, self-study, one on one with your instructor, or a combination of the three to prepare for the written and oral.

8. Written Test

Once you receive the endorsement from your CFI, knock it out! This can be done at any time during your training.

9. Checkride

The practical test consists of two parts: oral and flying. Now go get paid to fly!

Frequently Asked Questions

Your most frequently asked questions.

You need a commercial certificate to be more proficient, competent, and confident pilot. Your commercial certificate will allow you to fly for pay. A commercial certificate is required to be paid to fly in any capacity.

The length of time to earn your commercial certificate varies. You can receive your commercial certificate in as little as 30 days if you fly every day. If you fly 2-3 times a week, you can receive your commercial certificate in about 3 to 6 months 

A commercial certificate will allow you to fly for hire. Any career such as flight instruction, corporate pilot, agricultural pilot, banner towing, pipeline patrol, traffic reporting, scenic tours, and more will require a commercial pilot certificate.

Yes, if the aircraft has a PFD, a MFD and a two-axis autopilot. You will need a minimum of ten hours per FAR 61.129.

Most regionals require 25 hours of multi-engine PIC and 1500 total hours to be qualified for your Airline Transport Pilot Certificate (ATP).